Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hey, big spender

The tooth fairy got caught up in Anna's excitement at losing a tooth and left a Sacagawea Dollar. For my English readers, we Americans don't have any coins in regular circulation over 25 cents. A few years ago a beautiful golden coin was released with a portrait of the Native American woman who help Lewis and Clark explore the west. But people complained that it was too similar to the quarter in size, and too hard to carry around, and there was not room designated for it in cashier drawers or vending machines. However, they are not at all heavy compared with carrying a few pound coins in your pocketbook! So now, you hardly ever see Sacagawea dollars, and they tend to be hoarded and not spent.

Apparently, the tooth fairy overpaid. This morning Anna told me she was expecting maybe a dime and a nickel.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow. She looks like such a big girl with her long hair and missing tooth.

Hey someone told me when they were babies to remember the order in which the teeth appeared because that is the order they lose them in. Of course, I don't have any clue at this point what the order was (I had twin infants for heaven's sake, it was a good day if I was coherent during daylight hours)

Emily said...

I think that's a nice coin for her first tooth! Didn't the tooth fairy leave us 50-cent coins?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Em. Kennedy 50 cent pieces were for the most part the coin used (besides quarters).....
But the Sacagawea dollar is better,,,,by half

Anonymous said...

Fun stuff. I loved waking up in the morning and seeing the note AND money from the tooth fairy. I guess my monetary reward depended on how I had been that day. Had I driven my parents crazy? Or been that rare, sweet angel?
25 cents for the first behavioral choice and even ONE DOLLAR for the later behavior.

Anyhow, I'm so happy Anna is entering into this fun stage in life. Jenn and Anth, before you know it, she'll be one "braces-wearing, talkin' on a cell phone teen!"

And, there's my scary thought for Halloween.....(a day late)

XOXOXOXO!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful coin,Jennifer,thanks for showing it to us. :) You are quite correct when you say 'much better than having all the pound coins in ones' purse'

ColeBugsmommy said...

The ironic thing is you truly are a "tooth fairy" you dental goddess you. Wink...wink

Joey said...

The tooth fairy left me silver dollars when I was little. I saved them all to pass on to my kids...however, I have too many kids!! I guess maybe the 1st tooth from everyone will get a silver dollar. After that, who knows?!