Wednesday, November 28, 2007

UTI

When I woke Anna up this morning, she told me, "Mommy, I got up to pee last night and it burned!" Uh oh. Then she stumbled into the bathroom, and it burned again. I knew what this meant, and called the doctor.

My pediatrician came into the exam room laughing, because she recently sent in some of her dog's urine to my clinic. "You look at my dog's pee, and I look at your kid's!" she said. Sure enough, there were red and white blood cells in Anna's urine. Fortunately, she had no fever or abdominal pain, so all she got was a prescription for antibiotics and a lesson on how to wipe. Oh yeah, and the flu shot I snuck in on her.

After school, Anna asked me to go into the bathroom with her every time she had to pee. "I really have to go, but I don't want to; it will hurt!!!" she said, squeezing my hands and moaning before she even started peeing. Oh man, every woman in the world knows how awful this feeling is. On the third pee, there was all the anticipation and howling, then afterwards she said, "Actually, that was better. It didn't hurt at all!" Guess the drugs and the cranberry juice were finally working.

5 comments:

Joey said...

Poor Anna! Faith just survived her 1st UTI 2 weeks ago. Thank goodness they start feeling better fast on antibiotics.

Emily said...

Aw, that's awful. Sorry she had to experience that, but I'm so glad she's doing better already.

peevish said...

Yea! for good meds!

ColeBugsmommy said...

Poor thing. Glad she is feeling better.

The Library Lady said...

Keep her on the cranberry juice and remind her a lot about wiping.
SC had two or three of those at this age, but hasn't had one since.
Poor babies!