Friday, November 23, 2007

Gratitude and Generosity

We made a gratitude tree (an idea I got from Melissa). This was a great project, especially for Anna - she cut out leaves of various shapes, punched holes in them with Henley, and we put little strings on them to hang on the "Charlie Brown" tree (as Anth called it) - a twiggy stick I brought home from the woods. Each Thanksgiving guest got 1-3 leaves and wrote something they were grateful for on it. It turned out really nice.

Before the meal, Emily told me that she has "adopted" some needy children in the NYC area. She started out with a couple from her volunteer group, then got a few more at her work, and then another at her church. She is now buying gifts for 5 needy children. She showed me their letters, and their requests were simple and humble - barbie dolls, scooters, etc. One 17-year-old boy didn't ask for an IPod or XBox, he only wants shoes and pants. Just decent clothes.

The combination of thinking about these poor children, hoping for just a few gifts from a kind stranger, and of my sister's expanding generosity soon had me overwhelmed with emotion and tears. Being surrounded by so many people that I love may have spurred my out of proportion reaction. Still, it was surprisingly touching. It seemed an appropriate way to start the holiday season.

5 comments:

peevish said...

Well, now I'm crying, too. Good for you, Em!

Emily said...

I'm sorry I drove you to tears! I'm just so excited about my "angels."

The feast was lovely, Jenn. Thanks again for hosting us.

Anonymous said...

We are all giving thanks for our many blessings and you just showed us all another way -- appreciating those we love who give above and beyond .... M

get2eric said...

I wondered why your eye make up had run..............

Great feast and great companions.

ColeBugsmommy said...

You have such a wonderful and giving family. It's a wonderful feeling to give back. We always donate to bikes for kids and donate gifts to Blue Santa. What a wonderful idea of saying what you are thankful for.