Saturday, November 24, 2007

Chilled produce

The cats have been super snuggly, angling for laps and huddling up together since this cold snap came. I realized that, since they are May babies, this is the first time they've ever experienced cold weather.

This morning the weather was downright wintry (for Texas). Cold drizzle was coming down and the temp hovered around 40 all day. Still, I wanted to go to the Farmers' Market. I knew that many of the growers would be out there, despite the lousy weather and recent holiday. Really, what was driving me was the desire for good local greens. We only have arugula growing so far, and I was craving some more butter lettuce.


The kids went with me, since there were likely to be scones involved, and Anthony came to, because he loves me (what a great feeling)! We did score some butter and red leaf lettuce, as well as radishes and end of the season eggplant. The English Baker herself was there with excellent fresh pear scones. She commented on Anna's nice Icelandic sweater, which my MIL knitted herself 30 years ago when they actually were in Iceland. She looks fetching in her winter outfit, don't you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite fetching, considering.. teehee. I was thinking she looked quite nordic. We miss the farmer's market (40's would be a nice break: it's been 17 almost every morning this week).

I'm reading "Four Season Harvest" right now, while we subsist on t-day left-overs and whole foods. I just read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and am feeling like even the organic machine isn't doing us any favors; still a sight better than the petro-chem'd industrial garden most eat from.

Alissa said...

I love Anna's outfit, she looks very stylish. Hand knit sweaters are the best!

peevish said...

I can't believe Anth's Mom knitted that sweater. I bow down to her superior abilities.

Emily said...

Beautiful sweater! Wish I had one like it.

I enjoyed the cats being snuggly.