Monday, August 27, 2007

Wishful thinking

We celebrated the last weekend of summer with my cousin Beverly. She is a home-schooled high school senior this year, and she is taking some community college classes this year. She is so wonderful and helpful to have around - she is always game to give the kids a bath, and even emptied the dishwasher while she was here! I hope that she enjoyed our high-speed internet access, dining out trips, and shopping excursion while she was here (not too many of those things in her small town). We also had a fun last trip to our local kiddie waterpark.

While all of greater Austin started school today, our little 'burg doesn't start until tomorrow. All day Anna said, "I wish my school started today. I can't wait to go to school. I AM a little nervous about first grade. I wish my school started all ready." Geez, you think she would be excited to go on a girls only shopping trip to the high-end Domain. Instead, she moaned on and on about wishing she could get a crystal-encrusted lizard by Jay Strongwater. (This link is actually a dragon, much more pricey than the lizard). His art was beautiful, but I'm not plunking down $650 for a flashy iguana for a 6-year-old!

She did enjoy our fancy lunch, and later was thrilled to meet her new teacher, and check out her desk in the new classroom. At an early bedtime tonight she sighed, "I wish it was time for school already!" I said just close your eyes, and before you know it, I'll be waking you up for the first day of school.

4 comments:

Alissa said...

I hope Anna's first day of school is as exciting as she expects. I remember that anticipation for school to start, of course, it only lasted through elementary school. Shopping at the Domain sounds great!

get2eric said...

I will be thinking of Anna in the morning and hoping she adjusts well to 1st grade. I'm sure she will.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for Anna. Kelley is getting her classroom ready and I can't wait until school starts, September 4. I really enjoy helping in her classroom just to see all those cute 1st graders and enjoy their enthusiasm and excitment not to mention the hugs and smiles I get.
Good luck to Anna and hope she has a great year in 1st grade.
Cathy

ColeBugsmommy said...

So, how was the first day?