Monday, December 04, 2006

It's beginning to look....

Anthony and I have a rule about Christmas decorations - they don't go up before December 1st and they don't come down until after January 1st. I know this doesn't jive with most Americans, who decorate the long weekend after Thanksgiving and take it down December 26th. We are happily in agreement on this one.

We also agree on the artificial tree thing. It helps that we both grew up with artificial trees. I know you "real tree" purists get all high and mighty about it, that it doesn't smell as good (buy a scented candle) or seem as traditional (its a fire hazard), but again, we are contented in our joint decision on this one. The first year we were married, we tried a live tree, which of course was really dead anyway, being severed from its root system (and also because it was already dry) and it was such a mess! Sap all over the car bringing it home! Needles all over every day! Ornaments slipping off its drying limbs! Puppy Montana chewing ornaments! (OK, that was not the live tree's fault, but it did happen, and reminds me that she was not always a perfect angel dog.)

The live tree is not for us. I feel guilty about killing a tree anyway (the same way I feel vaguely guilty about eating meat, although I do that anyway). So we got a really awesome artificial tree. I loved it, but it took me hours to string the lights on it, and my arms were covered afterwards with little red prickles.

I started to covet a prelit tree. Two years ago, Anthony surprised me with one. Not only did he purchase it for me, he set it all up for me and presented it with much fanfare. It is beautiful, chock full-o-lights, plenty realistic, and much easier to set up (though much heavier!).

On Friday, Anna asked me if I was working this Saturday, and I said no. "Can we set up the Christmas tree then?" Yes, I told her. Early Saturday morning, she was nudging me, asking about the tree. I let Colin and Anna help me put many of the ornaments on, so we have a bunch of them at 3 feet up all in the front. We also put the many beautiful Lenox ornaments (my mom buys them each one every year) at a safer, higher altitude. "Ooh, is that one mine?" they asked as I pulled each one out.




At the top of the tree, we have an angel - a dog angel I made that first Christmas we were married. I was so inspired by the beauty of my new Golden Retriever puppy that I made it to look like her. Now we especially appreciate having our angel Montana watching over our tree.




I did the rest of the house decorations while the kids were at school today. Colin came home and looked at the fireplace with amazement. "What are all those.... Santa socks for?" he asked.

9 comments:

Leah said...

The tree looks beautiful. I have always wanted to be into decorating for Christmas since it is my favorite holiday. I don't know why I never got into it. I usually go home for Christmas so maybe that is why. Now my reason for not decorating is that I have 7 dogs and the tree prob. would not make it for Christmas. HA HA. I love your Montana Angel..it touch my heart.

Anonymous said...

I too love the doggy angel,Jenn...I said out loud (to myself) ahhh....the Lenox ornaments..now what are they like please? I still have a lovely little ornament your Mum gave to us and wondered if it is the same...ours is a little tree with gift packages on it...your tree looks simply lovely and I agree with you wholeheartedly about not having a 'real tree' ...xx

paula said...

The tree looks gorgeous Jenn, I'd like to know more about the Lenox ornaments too.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tree, and I LOVE the doggie angel! So beautiful, and so sweet to have that as a memory! My tree is covered in the ornaments that I made as a child, that my mom passed down to me. (Wait, what? Did she not want to keep my HANDMADE MACARONI SANTA? Let me think about that for a minute...)

Krispy said...

I'm with you on the decorating credo. Actually, in our family, we didn't take down the decorations/tree until after King's night - sometime in January when the 3 Kings supposedly made it to Bethlehem.

Your tree is gorgeous, even though I'm one of those "live" tree purists. Where I grew up? We could just go cut one...but a faux spruce is much more green :-)

Vetmommy said...

Lenox is a fine China maker, and every year they come out with many beautiful ornaments. My mom generously orders one for each grandkid and has it personalized with their names. They are all a lovely ivory color and look fabulous on the tree - especially with so many of them. You can see loads of them at www.lenox.com and click on Christmas, then ornaments.

Anonymous said...

Ahh then the one your Mum gave to me is NOT a Lenox...

Agent X said...

It looks beautiful. I too am a live tree purist, but with the increasing cost, I think artificial, pre-lit sound great.

Anonymous said...

I got 45% discount on buying home decor accessories from Lenox store through CouponAlbum shopping site.....!