Friday, May 13, 2005

Hazards on the Job

I will post the end of our trip soon, I will.

Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of my graduation from Vet School. Today I got bitten by a dog, on the face.

It was a Rhodesian Ridgeback I'd met once before, and I remembered he was an adopted rescue dog who was very nervous. He came in limping from a torn-off toenail. He was acting all hinkey, refusing to get on the table, dancing around the exam room. I did a brief exam and he gave me some aggressive body language, staring directly into my face. So I backed way off and gave him some space while I talked to the owners. About 2 minutes later, I was squatting next to the dog's rear end, talking about a bandage and antiinflammatories, not touching or moving near him.

That's when he lunged, quickly, mouth open toward my face.

It all happened so fast and didn't really hurt. I leaped back and clamped my hand to my face. I stood there, reeling, thinking, "He bit me, I think he bit me, yeah he really did bite me." My nurse grabbed me by the shoulders and led me out of the room. I lamely mumbled, "Excuse me," and wandered to my office chair. The staff was immediately solicitous and helping me. They brought me ice packs, sterile gauze, and ibuprofen. My boss called his physician and got me in with him. 30 minutes later I was getting 3 stitches in my bottom lip, an abrasion over my eyebrow glued, and a tetanus booster. I went back to work and finished my afternoon appointments.

I'm pretty sore and bruised, and developing a black eye. The doctor said I was lucky, the places and the way I was bitten shouldn't leave any scar. When I got home, Anna frowned at my lip and asked what those things were. I told her they were stitches, like she had in her foot when her mole was removed. She started to get upset, saying she didn't like those stitches in my lip and didn't want any in her foot. She calmed down when I told her they were making me better (and that she didn't need any). Then she said, "I see that little ant on your lip." She keeps calling it an ant!

If I get brave maybe I'll post a picture of my face. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures from our trip, inserted into past posts below.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a way to celebrate your 10th anniversary...a dog bite...
Sorry about your accident...!!!! That sounds extremely painful. What are the owners going to with that aggressive dog?I guess those kinds of things happen while working w/ animals.=/ I hope you start to feel better...!!!! Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Anonymous said...

sorry, I forgot to add my name.....for my comment....here goes
Bev
=)

Unknown said...

Oh, Jenn Jenn, if I thought you were awake at this hour I'd call you. I'm so sorry that happened to you, and from such a strapping, ferocious beast as a ridgeback, it must be some kinda chomp. Eyebrow to mouth. Wow. I can't imagine. Holy moly, wow. I'm so sorry. We just returned from a black tie even downtown. I wore a corsetted dress from my 18-yr-old days. I can't wait to take it off and breathe again. But not before I tell you that I love you and I'm sorry. You are so brave. It is so unreal when crazy things like this happen to you, huh? Wowie. I'm stunned. I want to hug you. So sorry. Love you, Steph

Unknown said...

ps Did you know that Lilly Tomlin is a lesbian? I am so naive. Well, she is. She performed tonight at the event we attended. She was good, not great, and her performance was LONNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Oh well, dinner was fabulous. 'nigh 'nigh as P&G say...

Unknown said...

Where's the picture? I want to see that little ant on your lip. ;)

Emily said...

I just hate that this happened to you! A bite anywhere would be bad, but to your face...it just seems so personal. I hope you are healing well!

kitten said...

omg , u poor baby!!!
The hazards of some jobs are definatly worse than others....