Monday, October 13, 2008

New York State of Mind

My last day in New York was also fabulous. We talked to the kids on iChat, went to Emily's quaint church, then had an amazing and cheap lunch at a street fair - crepes with goat cheese, arugula, tomatoes, garlic, and turkey. Also could not resist some Thai food - $3 for stirfry or pad thai! We went to MOMA but unfortunately were too late to get in to see the Van Gogh exhibit that day. It was the only disappointing moment of the trip. So, what's a girl to do? Might as well shop.

Macy's gives out discount shopping cards to out of state guests, and I found 2 skirts and a pair of pants, especially after Emily graciously accompanied me to the petites department (nearly an entire floor!). One of the cashiers that helped us at the end was like a miniature Gilda Radner (her name was, no joke, Aswilda). I found a great pair of pants with a tiny hole in them. She tried to find me a replacement in my size in the back storeroom, and I could see her looking demonstrably sad and shaking her head from across the floor. "You've waited a lowng time," she said on her return, "So I'm just going to discownt it. I'm not even gonna ask. I'm just gonna do it. Let them come ask me!" She was hilarious.

We made it back to the apartment just in time to catch the brilliant end of the sunset from Emily's apartment windows. Then we had dinner at Patsy's, an established Italian place "Frank Sinatra made famous." I was a little worried when Emily pointed out the old career waitstaff and I noticed the established clientele, but after my first bite of salad, I knew we'd be OK. Rustically torn arugula, endive, and radicchio in a perfect vinaigrette -- mmm. I swooned when I tasted the Penne alla Vodka - perfectly al dente pasta, delicately creamy tomato sauce. Our waiter murmured his approval of everything we ordered. For entrees, Emily got stuffed chicken breast, and I had rack of lamb. It was heavenly. I sucked every little bone dry, then mopped up every bit of sauce.

We took a slice of cheesecake home (so tall! so eggy!) and shared it with another friend of Emily's who met us for a last glass of wine. We were very sad to see our fun weekend end. Our adventures were as perfect as the sunny, cool weather. Still, this morning I was up early, catching a cab back to JFK while Emily got ready for work.

I picked the kids up at school, and they were so excited to see me. Anna noticed my new purse immediately. We talked about how she missed me SO MUCH MORE than the week she spent in Houston. Now its back to work, school, routine, and they all seem to appreciate my role a little extra now, and I certainly appreciate them letting me go have this little adventure in the big city.

6 comments:

Alissa said...

What an awesome trip! The food sounds fantastic-your descriptions are too good- they make me want it too!

ColeBugsmommy said...

What an amazing time! I'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

I'm insanely jealous -- that sounds like so much fun! I wish I had someone to visit in New York, because I'll probably never go on my own. ~Angie

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of Anth and your kids to agree with the trip.
You made it all sound so good that Mommy wants to go to see Em again, alone, before Christmas.
I encourage it.

Hope you all come to Houston soon.

Emily said...

I was sad to see you go! It was so much fun, I was absolutely exhausted all day Monday. :-)

Please post pictures. All the pictures of the two of us were on your camera.

mainlyclearskies said...

What a fabulous trip! Please post pictures of your new purse. :)