Saturday, November 08, 2008

Ballet Blues

Anna loves ballet. She has several parts in the upcoming Christmas show. One thing I love about her ballet studio is that the young students are very prepared for the performances. There are students of many levels doing different choreography at the same time during the show. There isn't a teacher up there prompting them with the steps.

All this preparation takes time, though. In addition to regular class on Mondays, there are a lot of weekend rehearsals. Today she was scheduled to be there from 2:30-3:30 to practice the Gingerbread cookies' tap routine, then from 4:45-7 for Act 2 run-through. Fortunately that got shortened to just 5:45. And also she doesn't mind staying at the studio between rehearsals as long as I pack her a snack and a book. That's good, because going back and forth 4 times would add up to over 2 hours of driving.

There is another long run-through tomorrow, too.

I may be a little tired of the driving, but Anna isn't tired of ballet. If she was getting burned out, I would cut it back. She seriously loves going, and beams when she's performing on stage. It's great exercise, and the extra rehearsals don't cost us extra in tuition. Driving her there is the least I can do.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish it wasn't off the other side of the highway so she could ride her bike there when she's older. What about hiring one of the teen ballerinas to shuttle her to these extra deals?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the Christmas performance -- what are the dates so I can plan to attend???

Love, M

Emily said...

It's great that she loves it so much.

get2eric said...

I heard that it was on Dec 14th. I will be back from my trip that day and we will be there.