Tuesday, August 15, 2006

First day of kindergarten

First day of school for Anna went as well as we could have wished for. She could hardly go to sleep last night, she was so excited. She got up and was raring to go this morning, while I stood there, trying to think of what I needed to do next, wishing the caffeine from my tea would kick in. Eventually, we were all dressed and ready (well, Colin wore sandals with his PJs) and out the door.

Here we are outside the school. Anna picked this outfit herself - a sparkly little top, fine guage corduroy skirt (with shorts underneath, for PE), all in her favorite color. It makes her look so grown up! She also has her green lunchbag and green backpack on, while I am loaded down with other first day supplies.


Here's the hallway of her school; her classroom is to the left. She put her nametag on and enthusiastically waved goodbye. I got a little misty-eyed but held it together. I drove the guys home and went to work (they graciously let me come in 1 hour late for this big day).

She brought home a picture she drew of a horse (the teacher told her to draw something she wanted to learn about). I think the best part was riding the bus home - which actually drops her off right at our driveway! She said no one sat by her but the boy in the next seat talked to her. I asked her what they talked about, and she said, "Let me tell you, Mommy. We talked about unicorns, and how they aren't real."

I asked Colin if he missed his sister today, and he said, "Yes!" I asked Anna if she missed her brother, and she said, "No...." I laughed and said, that's usually the way it is - the person who stays behind really misses the person who leaves, but the one who leaves is having so much fun, they don't miss you as much.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

It was definitely an eventful day at the Martin household! Anna looked so amazing in her kindergarten gear! I am glad she made a friend on the bus! Awww, poor Colin missed Anna. So sweet!

Anonymous said...

What does she mean, "Unicorns aren't real"?!

It's nice that you have kids who enjoy school. I think I was a bit of a troublemaker who didn't want to leave my mama when schooltime rolled around.

ColeBugsmommy said...

Misty eyed? :-) I'm so pathethic I cry at every milestone. I can work up tears at just the thought of Cole starting school next year. Yeah, for Anna, she is going to have so much this year. Before you know it you'll have your own mom & daughter vet clinic and will be eating lunch together every day.

Emily said...

I got misty eyed just reading this! I kept thinking about Anna yesterday on her big day. It's so exciting and amazing that she's a kindergartener.

Anonymous said...

What a big girl! Kindergarten is a huge milestone! She looks so cute in all her school paraphernalia! I remember Kindergarten and thinking I was a "big-shot" goin' off to school!

I can relate to Colin. With Rob gone away to college things are REALLY different!!!!!!!! Quieter for one...

XOXOXOXO!

paula said...

I filled up reading this ... I mean did you really have to say that Unicorns don't exist, next thing you'll be telling me that Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real!! Bless little Anna, she's such a big girl now. And what about little Colin - missing his sister, just too cute. XXX