Sunday, June 11, 2006

Danskin 2006

Its not a good thing to get bronchitis 2 days before your triathlon. I felt much better by today (until I started exercising). It was hard to get efficient oxygenation, and I didn't really improve my times much over last year. The rattle of phlegm in my bronchi accompanied me on the entire course.


Anyway, the real story of this year's triathlon was Emily (nicknamed "Iron Em" by her boyfriend, who took all these great photos). Emily was awesome, and signed up even though she was a little afraid of this intimidating event. She never wavered on the course, and completed it tired but happy and grinning.


Here I am in the water, waiting for my wave to start. It is very inspirational to be in a race, surrounded by so many other women exactly my age.


Emily in the water, waiting for her start, 8 minutes behind me.


Running up the hill to my bike after the swim.

There is an unbelievably steep long hill at the end of the bike course. It is ugly and taxing, and lots of competitors actually get off and walk up the hill. The run course parallels this hill. I happened to be jogging down the hill the same time Emily was just making it to the top of the biking hill. I yelled to her, "Go, Iron Em! You did it! You're doing great!" and she cheered me on as well. Emily looked really good, and she hadn't gotten off her bike at all!

At the end of the race, I found my support team: Anthony, Anna, and Colin. I know I couldn't have done gotten ready for the triathlon without their encouragement and understanding.


Here we are, at the end of race. "What do you want to do now?" I asked Emily. "EAT!" she said.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Wow, and Wow!!! My 2 awesome daughters! What an accomplishment for you both. I am so proud of you. :)
Love, your Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you both look terrif..........
I too am so proud and pleased that you two can do this stuff together.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I drained and scrubbed our pool today, so I had to jog to the pool with the sump pump and then back to the drain with the hose, then I had to swim through the pool water as it drained, pushing all the crap in the pool to the pump so it could get sucked out of the water. Later in the day I moved my bicycle in the garage, so I could get to the jugs of chlorine.

My own triathlon, not nearly as impressive as yours ;-)

Jessica said...

What great photos! Looks like you both enjoyed yourselves, despite the very large hill you had to ride up! Very impressive! :)

Unknown said...

Well, the little sister is not only impressed but in tears! It's great to see you both doing something so satisfying and heart-healthy. Viva hermanas!
Now come to Houston this weekend for some R&R (and wine!)

Anonymous said...

oh,my...that was good work both of you!!! Congratulations,Girls.xxxx

Anonymous said...

WOW! Great accomplishment, you two!!!
And, an extra special HORRAH! for Emily for completing her first EVER Tri!

XOXOXOXOXO!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! I'm so proud of you guys! And check out that sexy little bikini bottom!! Whoa!! :)

Anonymous said...

I too am impressed with the cheeky bikini bottom!! Well done Jenn and Em, so very proud for you.

Sinda said...

Congratulations, Jennifer - I agree with all of your other fans, what an awesome accomplishment! And what a great role model for the kids...

peevish said...

You go, Grrls!! I'm awestruck. Great pictures, too!

Unknown said...

Post something already! One week has gone by...your blog is like a shriveled up raisin -- no, worse -- a saggy, used-up-by-ten-kids-breastfeeding boobie. Ooooh, harsh, okay good, maybe that will motivate an entry...