Monday, June 08, 2009

Fa Meno, Rapa!


My friend Lisa has this great story, the moral of which is "Do Less, Turnip." Something I needed to be reminded of recently.

If the lack of decent posting wasn't indicative enough, life has been overly full since mid-May, starting with the birthday week, then there was Ballet Recital, then Piano Recital. Also, we started swim team - daily 45 minute practices during the week, and early Saturday morning meets. Swim team has been great for the kids - they have become stong swimmers, lean and tan - and I like the coaches. It hasn't been so great for us adults running them there and back. In both the meets we have attended, I have had "issues" with the volunteer requirements (this is worth an entire post by itself). Its definitely up in the air whether we'll do it again next year.

Work is great, and even if I run errands on my lunch hour at least I am doing it without the kids. The only problem with work is that I am gone from the house 12 hours those days. Then I spend one of my days off doing laundry, and the other cleaning the house. The weekends don't let up either.

Last weekend I was up at 5 am on Saturday to go to a swim meet, up again at 5 am Sunday to do the Danskin Triathlon. The tri went great - with my fancy new bike, I had a personal best with an overall time of 1hr 49 minutes. Emily improved her time by 20 minutes! However, the cumulative effects of a week with not enough sleep, the heat, a little dehydration, my period, then intense exercise gave me a whopper of a migraine. I took a nap, woke up and took an Imitrex, then took another nap.

So despite the dirty messy house, I did nothing Sunday afternoon. It was as if my body was making me stop, even if it took a horrible painful headache to do it. Life has got to ease up, and it will - there is less on the schedule in the next few weeks, we probably won't make any more swim meets, and the kids are going to their grandparents' house tomorrow for 4 days. Yippee! Hopefully all this will lead to more quality posting in the future.

5 comments:

Sinda said...

You definitely deserve a break. Do you have a day off while the kids are gone? It's time for summer mode - definitely time to do less!

BTW, I love that picture Anthony took - awesome shot!

mainlyclearskies said...

It's usually most painful when our bodies make us stop. I'm glad you have some less-busy time coming up. Congrats on your triathlon time!

Unknown said...

Yes, you sound terribly overextended these days. Your monkeys will be here for a few, though, so that should be a good start to getting things back on track. We promise to keep them swimming and sunblocked -- and no volunteering required.:)

peevish said...

I feel ya, turnip. And I haven't even been training for a triathlon. I hope you get to take it easy soon.

That is a great photo!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pic of you,Jenn..I hope you have a nice few days rest and NO more headaches :( xx

A.Norma